Thursday, January 31, 2013

Thin sections and papers .... and Central Otago ...

Well, my big accomplishment (busy work, avoiding brain work) was finally, after 20 years, cataloging my research thin sections. About 500 of them. All organized. I also discovered a whole set - about 30 thin sections - from the Baton River that I have never even worked on. Hmmm. Another project to complete.

Last weekend I went into the field in Central Otago chasing down a hotly debated erosion surface with one of my former grad school colleaguess. We drove past the NIWA meteorological Research Station.

Entrance to Station 
For my Meteorology colleagues: Lauder Meteorological Research Station.
Nestled between sheep stations in Central Otago. 
 I also availed myself of the free offer (free with NZGS Conference enrollment from November 2012) from Taylor and Francis of free access to some of their Journals online ...up until Jan 31st (so, I did it on the 31st, of course), and I got a huge stack of pdfs of papers that I would never normally be able to access at St. Cloud. 
View from Duffers Saddle in Central Otago

It was good weather. My car seems to be doing okay,
although I baby it  somewhat on the gravel roads.
 
Bendigo - remnants from the gold-mining days in the 1860's

The Wedderburn Pub + ute

We did run in to a farmer herding his sheep along the road; him in the ute, with windows open, calling to the dog who was doing the work. They let us go past, which disrupted the sheep somewhat.

Sheep in front of Ute in distance. 
Sheep as we go past them 
Looking back on ... I can't recall which range ...

Heading towards Ophir in Central Otago at the end of the day

And, of course, I have to have a picture of the iconic Cromwell fruit.
Been eating lots of it - picked up from roadside fruit stands.
Other than that I am now quite overwhelmed by my next set of projects, and finding it hard to focus, although I had a kind of minor breakthrough in terms of interpreting part of my PhD field area. Makes me wonder why I didn't see it before. I've been trying to catch up on all the pertinent publications over the past 20 years ... sigh, and figure out what to tackle first.

Which means I'm heading out of town over the weekend - going to see the Manapouri power station / scheme in Fiordland, and get some walking in - I hope. It is still unseasonably warm / dry here, so lets hope that lasts over the weekend.

No comments: