Monday, October 8, 2012

Slow Cold Wet day Tues Oct 9th

View out my window this morning.
Well, it was very grey, cold, and wet this morning. Really hard to get out of bed. The dryer at my flat is broken so I had the choice of damp clothes or dirty clothes. By the time I made it in to the department (I had to take care of banking and electricity bill paying) it was almost noon. I got a really useful (but horribly demanding) review of my first draft back for the Eyre Creek mss. Ugghh. Lots to do still - tons to fix. I decided to focus on drafting figures today. Humph. Because I am not really adept and savvy with GIS, the only way for me to create the location map I wanted (with geology on it) was to compile it on paper. I am sure there must be a quicker way. I am going to scan my compiled version, and then actually draft it in Illustrator. This is going to take forever! The good thing that came out of it was that I had an AHA MOMENT about the geology as I was doing this.

You probably can't see all the detail, but
this was the result of my work today.
Lots of time, little to show for it.



My office / desk. I had five different
 maps spread out as I tried to selectively
compile data from all of them together.




















On a more upbeat note, I think I have found accomodation for when I am in Christchurch after new year. It is a small cottage that a GNS scientist bought because they were seconded to Christchurch because of Earthquake work (or at least that is my understanding). They couldn't find a place to rent, so they ended up buying the cottage - mortgage was cheaper than rent. They will still have access and have stuff in the garage, but I will be renting it from them. No bricks, no concrete, all wood, on one level - YEAH!  I am so relieved - I had been really worried about finding a place to live there. It is 20 minutes walk from the University - and much less by bicycle. I think I'll give up for the day now and go walk downtown to the public library. It will be warm there, it is open until 8 pm.

No comments: